Saturday 30 December 2017

The Year Russian L.G.B.T. Persecution Defied Belief

The Year Russian L.G.B.T. Persecution Defied Belief

I can think of only two times it’s happened to me: I read a news story, or even a series of stories, and thought that it contained such extreme exaggerations that it had to be, essentially, false. I could enumerate my reasons, which were similar both times: the stories came from the Russian media, which is unreliable (even in the independent media outlets, reporting standards are often lax); the stories described awful, nearly unthinkable violence that came so neatly, so horrifyingly packaged, that it defied belief.
Read more: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/2017-in-review/the-year-russian-lgbt-persecution-defied-belief?source=Snapzu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive